“Strengthening of Provincial Commission on the Status of Women Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for Advocacy and Research”
KPCSW is implementing a one year project with the support of the American people through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Aurat Foundation under the Gender Equity Program (GEP). The project aims at supporting the Commission for its primary role of advocacy and research.
Aurat Publication and Information Service Foundation (AF) is implementing a five year, USAID supported Gender Equity Program (GEP). The Gender Equity Program aims at closing the gender gap in Pakistan by proactively supporting the development of women. The program seeks to facilitate behavioral change in society by enabling women to access information, resources and institutions, and improve societal attitudes towards women’s rights issues.
The sub-grant aims at supporting the commission for advocacy. Under the grant, PCSW is holding consultation sessions on issues hampering women development and development of a media strategy. The Commission is also conducting two research studies one each regarding status of “Women in Emergencies in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa” and “Tracing patterns in filling marriage registration form/Nikha nama”.
The support extended under GEP has helped to provide credible information base to the commission for policy and planning recommendations to the provincial government. The engagement with the GEP has also had an impact on the commission in terms of its visibility in the province.
- Strengthening PCSW in its primary role to give research oriented policy level guidance to the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Facilitating building of linkages of PCSW with media, civil society and all relevant stakeholders in the Province for greater visibility and networking.
Major Outcomes Include:
- In- depth and contextualized study and survey on ‘Women in Emergency’, ‘Women Marriage Registration’ in KP, respectively.
- Policy and legislation formation based on the findings of the studies.
- Networking and lobbying with parliamentarians regarding purpose policies and legislation through two consultations and one on one meeting.
- Extensive Engagement with media to build image of PCSW and forging synergies and linkages with like-minded media groups
- Facilitation of formation of District Commission on status of Women (initially in three districts, as pilot).